Happy 80th birthday to the Dalai Lama!
The Dalai Lama encourages people to practice love, kindness and compassion. This week I started thinking about what compassion means to me. I brewed a pitcher of iced Organic Jasmine Silver Needles white tea.
I started reading From Here to Enlightenment by The Dalai Lama. He has a few chapters about compassion. He says compassion involves cultivating a sense of affection that holds other living beings dear and the wish to relieve suffering. Compassion is a state of mind in which you aspire for other living beings to be free from suffering.
Here are 8 ways I found to cultivate compassion.
- Cultivate impartiality towards all human beings
- Cultivate the recognition that all human being are dear to you
- Cultivate recognizing kindness in others
- Cultivate practicing kindness towards others
- Accept responsibilities of others welfare
- Provide happiness
- Give without expectations
- Commit to relieving suffering in others